Labels

Home (7) Life (3) Hair (2) About Me (1) God (1)

Thursday, May 22, 2014

My Naturally Curly Hair Routine

Managing curly hair is a task that takes practice. It also requires spending money on experimenting with different products. It's beautiful, but it's definitely a lot of work. 
Yikes! I promise you, my mom is not a poodle and my dad's not a lion.

Finding the perfect concoction of hair products for your curly hair takes time. It almost turns you into some type of obsessed scientist whose main goal is to tame frizz. A couple years ago I got tired of dealing with my curls, so I got my lovely hairdressing mother to straighten it a couple times every month for two whole years! Imagine the damage! But she did a heck of a job! :) Thanks mommy.
Giving me low layers

So while I was in Florida this past April I decided that I wanted to swim in the ocean and go to the pool every night. That wasn't happening with straightened hair. Plus, it's hot down there. I wanted to be able to wash/rinse the sweat out of my hair and not have to deal with a frizzy hairline (unattractive). So I went into the clear ocean and dunked my head back into the gentle waves. Wallah! My curls still existed! Thank you Jesus! :) Now, it was time to start the journey of finding the right products that would agree with my hair.

This is what i've been using for the past few weeks. A combination of these three products.


Keep in mind that those products are only for after the shower. To shampoo and condition my hair I use these.


So, first I take my hair out and start my shower. This is my hair before the shower and after being in a bun for almost 3 days (i've been sick in bed). It's still very tamed and able to style. However, I wanted to wash and condition it, so I must get it wet to "restart" it.                                                                                           
 I wash it with the Aussie shampoo and then condition it with Mane 'n Tail. I've been using Mane 'n Tail for years now. It helps keep your hair very strong and nourishes it and makes it grow fast. I've also noticed that it helps with damaged hair and also prevents damage. 

I don't use a comb to get tangles out. I rarely have tangles because of my hair routine. I just comb my fingers through it after I shampoo it and that does the job. *Finger combing prevents breakage.*

I let the conditioner sit in my hair for about 5 minutes while I wash my body. Then I rinse the majority, if not all, of it out. 
Straight out of the shower. You can see my low layers.
Next I grab an old t shirt to pat my hair dry. I don't dry my hair with a towel. It causes unnecessary frizz. 

Pat! pat! pat!
Yes, I know I look tired.

Then I get the Pantene conditioner (I use it as a leave in conditioner). I get a big blob of it, since my hair is so long, and just wipe it all in my hair. 
The more the merrier
Next, I grab the Aussie and put it in my hair. I just wipe it in. I don't do it any particular way since it doesn't matter. As long as I get it on all my hair.

Then I get the Pantene Whip and put it in my hair. It feels just like whip cream. I just wanna eat it, but I don't because I don't wanna die. :P

Then my hair is feeling lovely! :) You may say it's a lot of product and probably makes my hair heavy. But it does the job! It works.

The face of conquering frizz. Success!

Now I put it in a very tight braid. I only use one pony tail holder and it goes at the end of the braid. 

That's it! Then I just go to bed and when I wake up and get ready for the day I take the braid out. I add some of the Pantene Whip to the top half of my hair to tame the frizz from the night (i'm a wild sleeper) and that's it! I don't dare to touch my curls. They're still a little damp. Do not touch them. Don't comb them. Don't play with them. No! None of that! lol! When it fully dries it doesn't even really shrink up. When it's dry I let people play with it (aka my boyfriend's little sister and mom). The curls stay tamed. 

So this is pretty much a nighttime routine. It makes it so much easier to get out the door in the morning. If I forget to do this at night then I just do it in the morning (minus the braid) and let the curls dry. They have more of a chance of getting frizzy but that's OK. :)

Thanks for reading! Leave your comments and questions below.
-Maria










2 comments:

  1. I will post what my hair looks like the next day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Maria! So glad you're back, we've missed ya! How long did it take to grow your hair to the length it is now? How short was it when you started? How often did you get it cut? Did you trim, dust or chop the ends? When it was shorter, how did you do your hair to sleep at night?

    I know there are a lot of questions here, but I have been following your YouTube channel for quite some time and I just love your hair! I have a similar texture and did a big chop last year (Jan '13) to ear length and it is now shoulder length when curly and dry. Just wondering if this sounds like progress to you and if I will see this length of growth per year if I am consistent? It's hard to tell with curly hair if it's growing, and I have not straightened or blowdryed even since Nov '12! Ack! Hope your ok with the length of this comment! Hope to hear back! :)
    ~ Summer

    ReplyDelete