Labels

Home (7) Life (3) Hair (2) About Me (1) God (1)

Saturday, May 24, 2014

The Looks We Get in 2014

As a reminder, it's 2014. It's not 1966. So why are you giving us that confused look? 

Luckily, before December 2013 I never experienced any racism (from what I know) or stares based on my skin color. Then when I started dating my white boyfriend, surprisingly, I/we began getting looks. 

I've identified myself as being a black american, however most times I will just tell people that i'm multiracial...it keeps the question of "no, but like what else are you?" away from my ears. Since I have long curly hair (even longer and shinier when it's straightened) and other features that not the typical black girl has, it's just easier to say that. It's a true statement. My mom is mixed (West Indian, German, and Cuban), so it's not like i'm lying. I'm mean I got hit on once by some guy who looked at me and said, "Mmm...i've always liked Indian girls." So, just because I have brown skin and had long straight hair meant I was Indian? OK...
Thanks Jack Sparrow :)
Anyways, I just find it weird that we get stares. I feel like 70% of the looks we get are because people don't approve or they're confused/disgusted. The other 30% is from the people who think it's cute or something. I seriously didn't think it would be so unusual to some humans that we're together. 
It definitely took some getting used to. We'd walk around the mall and an old person (it's always the old white people) would fix their eyes on us with perplexed eyebrows, then we'd look at each other and laugh. 

Chris mainly gets mean glares from black guys. Usually they'll look back and forth at us and then shake their heads at him and/or release air from their mouths disrespectfully. Why? I don't know. Maybe they think that because I have brown skin I should be with someone with brown skin. 

The bad looks I get are typically from white girls. Talk about jealous! Haha! Gotta love it. Sorry ladies, but even if he wasn't with me he wouldn't go for you. I mean before my Chrischris was with me he was with some black girl straight from Africa. 

Oh my gosh, I musnt forget the girl that works in the aquarium section of PetSmart. She's this short little white girl that we go to every time we pickup a new fish. The first time we went there C was asking questions to her and I was standing next to him...I was inches away from him. She kept looking at me. Then when he was done talking to her she looks at me and asks me, "Can I help you ma'am?"  
Seriously?

Chris was like, "Oh, no she's with me." Then we just looked at each other awestruck. Like really? Nah, i'm just a random black girl standing awkwardly close to this white guy and waiting for almost 10 minutes to ask you a question. 

I spent 1/3 of our Valentine's Day dinner at Red Lobster being stared at by an old white lady. She was just staring at us. I hope she was staring because we are cute. I couldn't tell by her face.

That's just a summary of the looks we've gotten. We're used to it by now. It's never bothered us, it's just so funny and surprising that people still react this way. We usually end up laughing about it when our relationship upsets people. Only once in this 6 months have we received a stare with a smile. Only once! Which is a shame, because we're so adorable together!






-Maria






No comments:

Post a Comment